Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday -- Samuel N. and Sarah Jane Pugmire Henderson

This is another photo I took on my snowy cemetery hopping day back in May and I sure am glad that I also found one that I took years earlier because I can hardly read that one.


This is the headstone of my great-great grandparents Samuel Newton and Sarah Jane Pugmire Henderson.  They are buried in the Laketown Cemetery in Laketown, Rich County, Utah.


On top of the headstone is an emblem honoring Samuel's pioneer trek in 1847.  I found this site explaining about the grave stone marker.


Samuel was a nine year orphan boy when he made the journey from Nauvoo, Illinois with the Pioneers. He made the trip with Mr. and Mrs. Gates.  She didn't have any children of her own and Samuel's grandfather Samuel, Sr said it would be alright if little Samuel went with them and she could raise him.  He lived with the Gates family until he was sixteen and then went out on his own. They traveled with the Daniel Spencer/Perrigrine Sessions Company.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site