Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Getting Medieval

Last Saturday hubby, sis, nephew and I went to the Hoggetown Medieval Faire.





We have gone every year, but the last two since we have been in Florida. I never even heard of such a thing before I moved to Florida. I really enjoy being there. It's like you're walking through a medieval village that your ancestors could have been a part of. The medieval period spans about 700 years starting around the year 800.(I so wish I had a time machine!)






It is even a more awesome experience if you know one of your ancestors from that time period. If I would have been with like-minded people, or should I say genealogy/family history minded people, I would have stayed longer and sat through every entertainment venue. 


Ironically while I was doing research for this post the other day Tweetdeck popped up with the tweet:

Krishna Andavolu
Ron Patterson, Held First Renaissance Faire, Dies at 80

You can read more about Ron Patterson  in the New York Times.


Some people dress up in medieval costumes when they go. I have not done this yet, but I have decided next time I am dressing up whether someone else dresses up with  me or not! So I was taking photos of different costumes to get an idea.





This guy had the most awesome costume of all. I think he was dressed as a musketeer or a pirate. I never did get a shot of his front side.


So I was thinking about dressing up like a pirate or a wizard. But, then I thought why not dress like my 18th great-grandmother, Queen of Scotland, Annabella Drummond?   

Maybe I can get hubby to wear his Clan McDonald tartan? (I know he aint wearing a kilt).

If you are dying to go to a medieval festival (I know you are), I found list of Renaissance Faires and Festivals. Go check it out for one in your area!



1 comment:

  1. I used to go to the Renaissance Fair up here in New York every year when I was younger and I used to *love* it - you're absolutely right that, if you have ancestors from those times, it helps you step into their world a little bit! Love the photos - thanks for making me recall some great childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site