Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Blanche Barker PIggott Dunn holding 18 day old Whitney 
If grandma were still alive, she would be 100 years old today. These two photos are the last ones I took of her before we lost her on January 21, 1993.  The one above is of her holding my daughter October 18, 1987. The photo below was taken June 18, 1988. She is holding Whit and standing with my boys.


So I find myself thinking about her today. How I wish we were at her house right now listening to records. Eddy Arnold singing the "Cattle Call" after The Lennon Sisters sing "How much is that doggie in the window".

How I crave her home canned rhubarb and frozen strawberry jam.  Her meatloaf was awesome and she made the best creamed peas and new potatoes.

If I looked hard enough, I could always find her licorice allsorts stashed somewhere. I think that is why I love black licorice so much, especially the allsorts, because they remind me of her.

She crocheted beautiful baby blankets and afghans. She taught me a few stitches that I had never seen before. Each of my children has a baby blanket that she made.

I remember the tv shows we used to watch there when we were little, Romper Room, Lawrence Welk, and The Wonderful World of Disney. Her favorite tv show in later life was "The Golden Girls".

As I grab a tissue and a handful of allsorts I wish you a happy birthday grandma! Miss you much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site