Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Workday Wednesday ~ George W. Piggott Chairmaker


George Washington Piggott
I sure was excited last week when I discovered a newspaper ad that indicated my 3rd great-grandfather was a partner in a chair and cabinet making business called Bennett & Piggott.

It was actually this page of the book Harbor and Home: Furniture of Southeastern Massachusetts, 1710-1850 by Brock W. Jobe, Jack O'Brien, Gary R. Sullivan that led me to the newspaper ads that I found.

He was in partnership with Samuel Bennett in the chair and cabinet making business from 1832 to 1833.


The first ad that I found was stating that they were moving their business.


New Bedford Mercury, Feb 22, 1833.

REMOVAL
BENNETT & PIGGOTT have
removed 2 doors South of A. C.
Barney's Apothecary shop on Pur-
chase st. where they intend to carry
on the Chair making and Painting
business in all its various branches.
On hand and for sale a large as-
sortment of Fancy and Winzor
Chairs, which they will sell as low
as can be bought else where. All
orders thankfully received and punc-
tually attended to.

It was August 17, 1833 when they dissolved the partnership.


New Bedford Mercury, August 23, 1833.


Notice. - The copartnership hertofore existing under the firm of BENNETT & PIGGOTT, is this day dissolved by mutual consent. SAMUEL BENNETT is duly authorized to settle the business of said firm. August 17, 1833.

Coincidentally George married Catherine Allen Howland just two months later. I'm guessing he needed the money from the partnership for his upcoming wedding?

Now you know what I am going to be looking for when I go to antique stores!


Leslie Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site