Tuesday, July 16, 2013

George W. Piggot Death Certificate



I have finally received the death certificate of George W. Piggott, the artist, from The City of New York Municipal Archives. I did learn a few things, but not enough to pinpoint his parents. Plus, there are more contradictions -- Grr!

George died of Typhoid Fever and contributing cause was Acute Myocarditis. He was buried at Cypress Hills on Nov 24, 1896. I have set up a Find A Grave memorial in the hopes that someone can find his headstone and take a photo.

For some reason his occupation is listed as watchmaker. His birthplace is listed as Venezuela, like his obit and a passenger list that I mentioned in the earlier post, but his passport application states that he was born in the U.S. Now why would you apply for a U.S. passport if you were not already a citizen?

His father is listed as William and I am assuming his last name is also Piggott. His mother is listed as Mary and no maiden name (grr!). So there's really not much to go on.

According to George's obituary his mother was from Venezuela, but here it states she was born in the United States.

So now I am on the search for William and Mary Piggott.

Wish me luck!


Leslie Ann

2 comments:

  1. I have Piggott ancestors. My great great grandfather changed it to Pickett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How ironic! I have a Piggott line that used to be Pickett, and a Pickett line that was originally Piggott.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site