Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday's Faces From the Albion Normal School

I believe this was Hannah Comish Hall

These are some more photos that were in the possession of cousin Bruce. It took me a while to realize that some of the photos were taken on the same day, or at least in the same place.

Axline Gymnasium in the background




I have no idea who are in these photos, well except for aunt Lillian who has a big circle around her face. I hadn't a clue where the photos were taken either, but I was bound and determined to put on my detective cap and find out.

First, I realized I needed to know more about aunt Lillian. That's when I realized that I didn't even have her obituary. Thanks to the Digital Archives of Bear Lake County Library I found it. It was published in the News Examiner on August 31, 1989. Unfortunately, I can't post it, but if you follow the above link you will find it.

From her obituary I learned that she received her teaching certificate from the Albion Normal School in 1929. I was even able to find the 1929 yearbook on Mocavo. Unfortunately I am not a paid member and can't view the image in high definition so I can't even pick her out of the group, or see if any of these unidentified faces are also there. She is listed as Lillian Langford as a Senior Emersonian on page 70, and a Senior Philo on page 72.

So I have been googling the school for about two days now and have found enough photos of the campus to feel certain that these photos were indeed taken at the Albion Normal School located in Albion, Idaho.

Hansen Hall

I have also noticed that some of the ladies besides my aunt are in more than one of these photos. And I also realized that this photo I posted earlier must also have been taken on the campus.


You can see photos of all the buildings here.

The campus has been turned into a retreat, a great place for family reunions and stuff. It also turns out the Albion has a reputation of being haunted. Check out all the spooky links:





 
Leslie Ann

4 comments:

  1. Does the term Normal School mean Public School?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "Normal School " was a two year college originally created for elementary school teachers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Leslie. I had heard the term before but did not know what it meant.

      Delete
  2. There are many other unusual things that seem to have gone on during the School's history. Ghosts,initiations,secret meetings all make for some interesting ghost stories! Use to live in Rupert,Id.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site